On Killing a Tree : Important Short Questions. Prepare these short questions for your final exam. You must do a very good result in your examination.
1. Who wrote the poem?
Ans: Gieve Patel wrote the poem.
2. What type of poem is this?
Ans: This is a satirical(ব্যাঙ্গাত্মক) poem.
3. What causes the bark of a tree to bleed?
Ans: Hacking and chopping cause the bark of a tree to bleed.
4. ‘The bleeding bark will heal’ – Why does the bark bleed?
Ans: The bark bleeds as it is cruelly hacked and chopped.
5. From where would the curled green twigs rise?
Ans: The green twigs would rise from the healed bark close to the ground.
6. What, according to the poet, is ‘the most sensitive’ part of a tree?
Ans: According to the poet, the root is the most sensitive part of a tree.
7. What scorch and choke the tree after it is pulled out?
Ans: The sun and air scorch and choke the tree after it is pulled out.
8. What will happen to miniature boughs, if unchecked?
Ans: Miniature boughs will grow to the former size if they are left unchecked.
9. What is the strength of a tree?
Ans: The root is the strength of a tree.
10. Why is the bark of a tree is called ‘leprous’?
Ans: The bark of a tree is called leprous because it is rough and has marks like the skin of a leprosy patient.
11. How will the ‘bleeding bark’ heal?
Ans: The bleeding bark will heal by sprouting leaves from close to the ground.
12. What is the theme of the poem “On Killing a Tree”?
Ans: The theme of the poem is the cruelty and harm that human beings do to the environment.
13. How has the tree grown up?
Ans: In the poem “On Killing a Tree”, the tree has grown up slowly by sucking air, water and light from the earth.
14. How is the hide of the tree?
Ans: The hide of the tree is leprous.
15. What kind of action is the killing of a tree considered?
Ans: The act of killing a tree is considered to be a very cruel and heartless act.
16. What causes the bark of a tree to bleed? (2018)
Ans: The act of hacking and chopping causes the bark of a tree to bleed.
17. Which part of the tree is the most sensitive white and wet? (2018)
Ans: The root of the tree is the most sensitive, white and wet.
18. Mention the processes that are required to kill a tree.
Ans: The processes that are required to kill a tree completely are hacking chopping and uprooting the tree entirely from the anchoring earth.
19. What finally kills the tree?
Ans: When the tree is totally pulled out from the earth along with its roots it is finally killed.
20. “No, the root is to be pulled out”. – What does ‘no’ signify here?
Ans: In this line from ‘On Killing a Tree’, the word ‘no’ denies all former possibilities of killing a tree by hacking and chopping.
21. What metaphor is suggested through the ‘bleeding bark’ in the poem “Asleep in the Valley”?
Ans: In the poem “On Killing a Tree”, bleeding bark is a metaphor for bleeding human.
22. What has the tree consumed?
Ans: The tree has consumed the earth slowly for years.
23. What are the different steps taken to kill a tree?
Ans: The different steps taken to kill a tree are uprooting, scorching, choking, browning, hardening, twisting and withering.
24. What do you mean by ‘anchoring earth’?
Ans: The phrase ‘anchoring earth’ means to fix the root of the tree firmly inside the earth.
25. What will happen once the ‘bleeding bark’ heals?
Ans: Once the ‘bleeding bark’ heals, curled green twigs will sprout from close to the ground.
26. What does ‘leprous hide’ refer to?
Ans: The expression ‘leprous hide’ refers to bark of the tree that looks like the skin of a leprosy patient.
27. “And then it is done.” – What is done?
Ans: The complete killing of the tree is done.
28. Where does the strength of the tree lie?
Ans: The strength of the tree lies in the root.
29. What does the tree symbolize in the poem ‘On Killing a Tree’?
Ans: In the poem ‘On Killing a Tree’ the tree symbolizes mother Nature.
On Killing a Tree : Important Short Questions